Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a new virus.
The disease causes respiratory illness (like the flu) with symptoms such as a cough, fever, and in more severe cases, difficulty breathing. You can protect yourself by washing your hands frequently, avoiding touching your face, and avoiding close contact (1 meter or 3 feet) with people who are unwell.
How it spreads
Coronavirus disease spreads primarily through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze. It also spreads when a person touches a surface or object that has the virus on it, then touches their eyes, nose, or mouth.
There are 5 ways we can all help stop the spread of viruses
- Clean your hands regularly with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rubs.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or bent elbow when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth. And avoid shaking hands.
- Stay home if you are unwell.
- Practice social distancing, which includes staying 1.5m away from others as much as you can.
For more information, visit the Depatment of Health -AU
Talking Points: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Easy read version(NDIA) :PB ER Coronavirus PDF